Friday, August 23, 2013

August Post

Ugh this was NOT autosaving when my computer gave up on my so I lost my post :( Time is in short supply so now instead of finishing this post, I am looking at restarting :( Its going to take much longer :(

I was saying something about Summertime seeming like it should have so much time but really it does not, and I thought I would write more, but I am so busy out there doing more activities, playing with the kids, and training more, I am not in fact writing more. SIGH.

August training has been a little hit and miss. Since the triathlon I have only swam once, and have biked little :( I am not sure why. Its not a matter of want. I want to. 
I have had a lot of other activities going on that are not specific to training, like Ball Hockey, a tournament on a weekend in which we played 3 games in one day :( I consider that speedwork lol 3 sessions in one day is a lot. Ball Hockey is rough therefore I did not long run the next day like I had planned to. In fact I arranged a bit of a party and then did not stay at it because one of my kids was sick.  Sunday ended up being a rest day but Monday the long run happened.  Always something in the way :)

My Aug 4 long run was an experience as I had planned to take an 11.2 km loop twice, staying close to home and giving me an out.  However I was a little put off stride when near the start a fellow in a car pulled over asking where I was going (which is kinda creepy) but he actually wanted to warn me of a BEAR and her Cubs that were spotted ahead in case I wanted to turn back (which is kinda nice of him!).  I did not turn back, but instead took off headphones and went ahead, running in the middle of the (extremely quiet) road as if that would keep me safer lol and I saw no bears but I was so stressed and nervous about it, I continued on into town instead of going the same loop twice, getting my miles in. 

Long runs are going really well, up to the last one. I think I was getting a little cocky because they were going so well; I got up a little later than planned and did not leave until after 9 am (it's August hello?) and it was hot and sunny, fog had all burned off :(  I felt fine mostly, choosing a route that gave me 2 options to turn for home, but since I felt great I kept going and those last 4 km were a total slog home.  I started with Energenix in my bottle but refilled at BIL/SIL house with plain water; I had a cliff Bar at 18 km but I ran through lunch time and was very very hungry.  Last little bit I was tired and a bit spacey; when I got back to within sight of my house, a neighbor with a dead battery needed a boost so while I was talking to them I felt the black closing in on me; I walked home to get car and felt very close to passing out entire time.  Got back to house, tried to eat; too nauseated so I had water and a cool shower; eventually I ate and continued drinking but I felt dizzy most of the day, and stayed still in the cool living room (doing needle point haha) until about supper time when I felt a little more normal.  It was a reminder that although this summer seems better than last, I still have not perfected this long run thing. Weird since my first summer (ages ago) were so much easier compared to this; there was a few runs I felt awful but nothing like last year.

I have some events upcoming, Triathlon Olympic Distance at Shubie Park being the first, in a short 2 weeks.  Im not ready. Ive really let my training down this last few weeks, and I am going to suffer for it. My swim this week was good, 54 laps quite easily which makes me feel I might survive the 1,5 km I am going to be swimming in a lake (weedy, scary lake) and the bike should be ok but the run is going to kick my ass after the bike since I am not really conditioned well enough for that length of bike ride :( The same weekend my oldest DD is going to Provincials with her soccer team, 5 hours away from the race venue. Its going to take some juggling.

6 Days later I will be doing the Maritime Race Weekend which is a 5 km Sunset race on Friday night followed by a 10 km Sunrise run the next morning.  Looking forward to it but expecting it to be tough so close to the Tri.

2 weeks later, a leg on a Relay race, same weekend as the 4H Provincial Show which 2 of my daughters, 3 of their animals, and 4 of their Lifeskills projects are going to be attending.  At least those 2 venues are much closer together.

2 weeks after that is my next Marathon.  Valley Harvest Marathon has been on my radar for a couple of years, I am training for it currently (which is why my Tri training is so sketchy :()

And then there is the Lucky 7 Relay in November with the same team I competed with last year. We are dressing up as farm animals this year and are team Barn to Run.  (giggle )

That will be the end of my season I believe. There are a few others I wish for, like the Cobequid Trail Race this weekend, and maybe a December run. But Ive not committed to anything else.

More on what we've been doing to come!

1 comment:

Char said...

You know you're reading about a life in a different place when it's safer to run in the middle of the road than along the edge because of bears.

2012 km Goal