Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I went away; Who knew?

I was away and it wasn't apparent here because I have not at all been a consistent blogger.  Here I am now trying to write a post and all I want to be doing is getting on my bike before it rains. Which I likely will do shortly.

Which is what I did. and it rained. And I got wet :)

Monday I ran with Toni a shorter 8.5 km run. 6:11 pace.

Tuesday was a long bike ride. I had a few breaks, when I biked up Young Street (Long hill ... 1.5 km? ISh?) Very steep. I paused at the top to deliver something to the school.  Then I continued to Hilden, back through town; I almost got taken out by a bus that passed me and then turned right while I was still beside. I had to hurried back up to get away. Careless self centered....
Back to home, 31.82 km.  1:31:47, 20.8 km/h pace. Crappy with all the stops.

Wednesday I ran the 10 k loop; 6:38 pace. crap.  We went to the RECC that night to sample the new venue :) The kids had the most fun on the rock climbing wall; they couldn't wait to try it! :)


 
They also swam in the new pool (Annika) and some tried the Ice (most of us have already :))

Thursday was the day I left :) After packing I got to go for a shorter bike ride, almost 23 km.  Then I hopped on a plane and flew to Newfoundland!  :):) Ive never been there! But now I have :)

I have a special friend from NFLD who invited a few of us over for the May long weekend.  As it ended up I was the only one able to go, lucky me to get focused touring attention :):)

Friday morning we shopped a little and then lunched at the Rooms, and then we went sight seeing!  The Basilica
 Signal Hill
Quidi Vidi, then Marine Lab and Red Cliffs where we hiked up a really great trail to overlook the lab and some cliffs :)
yup we hiked up that :)
 
Then along the coast to Middle Cove
And then to Cape Spear; Easternly most point in North America :)

After Cape Spear we met family for Dinner at the Yellow Belly Pub :) I had a huge decadent burger and Wexford Wheat Beer :)  Carb loading for races far in the future with that meal.

Off to bed. 
Saturday we got up to head to the cottage in South River :) we drove lots of little coves on the way, including Brigus where we got out and checked out a tunnel :) It was SO cold! Winter returned to the Maritimes while I was in NFLD.  Suggestions of snow.

Meanwhile in NS Holly ran the Bluenose Marathon with her friend; They did the Youth Run.  They loved it and cannot wait for the next run :)

At the cottage we ate and then seriously changed clothes and went for a run!  :) Friend was very sick so she showed me a 3.5 km loop, then I completed it 2 more times alone (plus a little due to a wrong turn ) I kept stopping to look at stuff LOL There are MOOSE in NFLD (never saw one).  We did a lot of bird watching. I swear there is SO much to SEE in NFLD.

we ate (more carb loading) and had an early night :)

Sunday we slept in and did some more sight seeing after a leisurely morning and some bird watching; in the river there is a lot of bird activity lol like the hunting Osprey that fly over the cottage with their big fish! :):)

We then went to Mad Rocks where we went on a long hike on the cliffs; it was really Cold and windy;

 
 
Thought we might blow away there but as long as we kept moving we were ok :)
We then went to a trail on the mountain because it was less foggy than it had been the whole trip, and we would see a great view :) We saw MOOSE prints, and at the top it was raining and foggy again!
 
We saw a fox but no moose.  And no whales, no ice bergs. lol.
about 9 km of hiking for the day :) hard hiking too!
We went to Cupids to have dessert then changed and drove to St Johns for supper :) More carb loading but also lots of steak and another dessert :)
 
Back to cottage for sleeping :)
 
And Monday; last morning there. I got up super early and went for my last NFLD run.  I did the loop again plus some, and had 5.5 km. 
These! were on my loop; but no moose.  It was like they were ... mocking me or something :)
We packed up and headed off to the city, airport, and back to NS where I ate and rushed off to Holly's soccer game; right back where I started without looking back. I cannot believe, I was away in NFLD and it was SO awesome!  :):):)  I cannot wait to go back!

No comments:

2012 km Goal