Thursday, September 6, 2012

Making the most of what's left of summer

It's been ages since I last posted and I'm not even going to attempt to remember what I've been up to. There is so little left of summer, I've been trying to use up every waking minute. But I have to admit exhaustion is getting the best of me. I cannot just run or just bike or just do what the kids need; trying to do it all is exhausting. I'm writing this from my phone, attempting to take advantage of some downtime. On our way to a soccer game. Excuse any spelling mistakes: autocorrect is not my friend.
I was cruising along in my training plan, got a 27 km long run in. I got all the runs in the next week.  Nice 13.8, 14.4, little runs. And next long run was a step back week; only 21.5 km.  All went well.  Was getting set for my big 30 k long run, when the time crunch knocked me off.Just not time for it all. And once you're off, how much harder is it to get back on?
The girls had soccer games and jamborees north of here, so we room the kids camping in Antigonish for a weekend. We were with about 6 other families heading same places, so it was easier to manage games at same times an hour apart. We left Holly with a friend and took Annika to her jamboree where she played 3 games in awfully hot conditions. She did awesome. Holly's team also did well. Back to campground then more soccer in the morning before heading home. No long run, no run. That's 2 days off. We were thrown right into preparations for Exhibition as items had to be taken in for 4H that night and Annika had to decorate the cake we made before we camped. We spent the rest of the day cake decorating. I felt way too bad to leave her to it, so no run.
Exhibition started Monday morning right away; too busy no run. I could have gotten up at dawn and run before but tired an kids had to be places at like 7 am so it was just too hard to get out earlier and as the only parent home the kids really needed guidance. Long freaking day at the Ex and we were there til dark. Tuesday was a repeat. Only earlier. And later. Wednesday should have been better but it wasn't . We wasted lots of the day at the ex and relaxed away the rest. Annika had an evening soccer party that night. No run. That's 5 days off. In a row. But because it was sooooo busy and exhausting, not restful, so feeling like crap.  Missed long run, missed little runs.
Thursday morning it was time to start again.  8.6 km; ugh!  It was brutal as I thought it might be. 

Ugh seriously, this is the hardest post to write!  Its been 6 days since I started it! And tonnes of it disappeared.  Rewriting.

So got restarted. Falling off the wagon isn't hard and it's not always a question of dedication. We are just trying SO hard to do it all.  And with the end of summer coming we wanted to get as much in as possible. Exhibition was totally worth it. Mostly fun!
8.6 miserable km in 56 minutes.  :P

Next morning I went up Greenfield way and did 9 miles (14.4 km) and that was long.  SIGH. Better tho.  1:34:58.  There were a lot of knarly hills on that route!
Friday night we went to a party. Not like a stuffy party but one with loads of drinks and pool and Wii Rock Band games.  And it went on for a long time :) So Saturday was now so a rest day.  We had company and it's hard to take off running when you have company.  On Saturday we took the kids for a walk in the park and they swam in the falls.  Night time was the Ex to pick up 4H stuff and a fairly early bedtime. Ugh.
Woke up next morning still feeling a little shakey but better; I spontaneously decided to sign up for the Cobequid 10 K run.  As soon as we registered and warmed up I remembered why I dont run that race anymore; freaking hot!  A 9 am start time is so awful in August.
Warm up was ok, race started a few minutes late, and congestion cleared by 5 km in lol at the turn around it improved.  I reeled people in for the last 5 km; It was one of the most consistently paced runs Ive ever done. First 5 k was 26:57. Finished the race in 55:39.  A personal Best!  Although I did do the Cabot Trail in less, it was part of another race, as well it was much cooler and my training was way less miles then.
Crowded start line
Challenged at the end; she beat me.
42/101, 6/27 Age Group, 5:34 mins/km pace.

The rest of Sunday was spent at race awards (good food so we stayed a bit; I could have had 2nd place or better in my age group at 5 km but I didnt run THAT race) and then we packed and went to Melmurby Beach until well into the evening.  It was hot and perfect.

Monday morning I thought it would be a great idea to do a long run. That wasn't the smartest thing ever.  Tired legs from a Race and hours at the beach?  It was a drag from start to finish. But I aimed for 10 miles and I came close. Ran out of road.  1:42:29. Getting better.
Took the kids to Moncton Zoo. 

Tuesday morning I got up super early and took my awesome bike for a ride.  23.14 km; I thought I was going to get rained on, and stopped to get a plastic bag for my iPhone.  It soon stopped and I continued on.  When I got home I changed helmet for hat and headed out for a 5 km run. That was tonnes of fun; always. lol  1:05:53 and 32:28 respectively.  Had work meetings afterwards, then Holly had soccer Tuesday night. Fun.

Wednesday no idea what happened.  I don't think I did much of anything. Went to office for a bit.

Thursday the girls had soccer in Stellarton;  Did run beforehand only 8.65 km on the loop.  52:30 minutes.

Friday I went 13.8 km. I dont know where I went lol.  I might remember eventually.

Saturday morning we went to Halifax for Holly to play in her Provincials.  There was no time for a run.  I suppose there was but I didnt go.




So Sunday am I did a better job of getting out of bed and was running before 7 am. It was COLD.  I mean, numb fingers and ears, thinking gloves and hats!  UGH.  Pretty, sunny, but I believe some people had a frost!  On Sept 2!!  Ugh. Just a reminder that I am so not ready to start facing those damned wintery runs.  Maybe once Ive enjoyed the fall ones?

6.5 km up the hill and back in 40:40.  I better improve those times, if Im racing a Relay in November. Just a short relay, 7 km apiece, but I want to be the fast one on my team hahah!  and that race recognises that we have loads of tech shirts and is actually puting Arm Sleeves in the bag!

The rest of Sunday morning was spent in Halifax at Holly's last game of Provincials where they did not finish in last place so happy days, and then we came home and cleaned bedrooms and garages and sheds and stuff.  In the evening after a late supper we had a later walk on the Trail with friends and the kids had bikes and it was all very nice.
5.3 more km in an hour.

Monday was Labour Day and I was determined we were going to the beach.  Scott's idea, I held us to it.  First I had a long run to make. I thought ok 21 km should do it.  I wish my body had agreed.  I started wishing for Scott around 17.5 km; I was feeling kinda sick and ran out of water/gatorade.  I just wanted to stop. And sure enough at 18.4 km he came around the corner with a drink and i got in the car and we went home.  I wasnt too short but it's still kind of a fail to me.

Tuesday I went back to work (SAD) and it was crazy.  My schedule this term is rotten. Holly had her very last soccer game with XFC this summer and we went over to that; they won and it was a good game. 

Wednesday the clouds broke. I dont mind running in the rain but for over 24 hours it poured straight. No breaks.  I was at work and kept looking for a little less rain.  I think it happened while I was teaching (classes started!!) anyway I dont mind rain but the wind driving the rain sideways didnt appeal to me at all. SO no run. SAD. 

Thursday was less rain more drizzle so a friend and I went running and it was good. Although muggy as all get out. Grossly sweating, I cannot believe how much I sweat. Think, sauna sweating.  I look like I stepped out of a shower sweat.  It's awful.  8 km in under 50 minutes (not logged yet) and then back into dress clothes and off to teach a lab. That's how I roll. 

Now I am caught up.  Still off the training plan. Severely. I dont see how a full Marathon can be salvaged at this point but Im always hopeful.

Anyone with advice on how to pull out a full marathon?  It's about 6 weeks away...or 5.  UGH!!!!!

No comments:

2012 km Goal